You can only vote in elections if your name is on the register of electors (the electoral roll). You can apply to have your name added at any time throughout the year.

If you live in Hull follow the link: Electoral Register

If you live in Hessle follow the link: Register to vote

Postal Voting

If you will be away on polling day, at work or on holiday, are physically unable or just don’t have the time to get to a polling station to vote in person, you can still exercise your democratic right to vote. You may have moved house since the electoral register was drawn up and have not yet joined the register at your new address.

You can choose either to vote by post or to appoint someone else – a proxy – to vote on your behalf.

To find out more about voting by post, please visit the Government’s official site at:

From this site, you can download an application form to vote by post.

Simply print the form out, complete the details and send it to the local Electoral Registration Officer at the local council’s offices:

Electoral services, Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA


Electoral Services, East Riding of Yorkshire Council, County Hall, Cross Street, Beverley, HU17 9BA